Categories
News

Three Dead As Cultists Clash In Sagamu

Three persons have been killed as suspected cult members clashed in Sagamu, the headquarters of Sagamu Local Government, Ogun State.

Dailypost gathered that the young men, who are members of the Eiye and Aiye confraternities, relaunched their usual supremacy battle on Tuesday, shooting at one another.

As at Saturday, three persons were said to have been shot dead in the ongoing fracas that has brought commercial activities to a halt in some parts of Sagamu.

Locals said several other persons sustained injuries in the attack, sending shivers down the spines of residents.

It was learnt that one of the victims, an attendant at Awabat filling station in Ijokun, was shot dead on Friday night.

A reliable source disclosed that the man, simply identified as Matey, was shot in the head by some yet-to-be identified persons.

“We don’t know if he was a cultist, we don’t know what happened. We just saw that he was shot dead by cultists. He’s a petrol attendant at Awabat in Ijokun,” a mother of one, who pleaded anonymity, said.

The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that three persons were killed in the melee.

However, Oyeyemi disclosed that many of the cultists have been arrested by the police.

Yes, three persons were killed in Sagamu by cultists. But we have arrested many of them. The Commissioner of Police has directed our tactical teams to be on standby. We have started trailing those involved and many are in custody. We are clamping in on them, more will still be arrested,” Oyeyemi said.

Categories
News

2023 UTME: 80,000 Candidates Sit For Rescheduled Exam

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB held it’s rescheduled examination on Saturday, May 6 for candidates who could not sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, within their scheduled time, owing to no fault of theirs.

Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who monitored the exercise, expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the rescheduled examination.

Adamu, who was in the company of the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, monitored the exam at the Computer Based Test, CBT centre located in Mambila Barracks, Asokoro District of Abuja. expressed delight over the smooth conduct of the exercise.

He said: “I am very happy with what I have seen. Regarding the (temporary) holding room (for candidates), and the arrangement in where they are taking the examination, I think everything is in order”.

While saying no negative incident was recorded in the conduct of the UTME at the CBT centre, the minister, however, made a case for a temporary holding place for candidates waiting for the scheduled time of the exam.

“Everything is okay, have you seen any problem? Perhaps they should have a class for the holding room, I think that is the only improvement they will make here,” Adamu said.

Recall that the Board had on Tuesday released the results of candidates who had earlier taken part in the exam, which commenced on Tuesday, 25th April.

A total of 1,586,765 candidates indicated an interest in sitting for the 2023 UTME.

Categories
News

Varsity VC Offers Scholarship To 15-year-old Boy Who Broke Jamb Highest Score

15-year-old Lotanna Azuokeke, who broke Jamb highest score record has been offered a full university scholarship.

It was earlier reported that the young lad who is a native of Ọba in Idemmili South LGA of Anambra State and attended Bishop Otubelu Juniorate, Trans Ekulu, Enugu State, bagged 99 in the exam, the highest point recorded in the exam and an overall score of 337 points out of 400 – another record.

The Nation reports that Azuokeke was given a fully-funded scholarship to study medicine at Godfrey Okoye University (GOU), Enugu state.

It was gathered that the Vice Chancellor of the university, Rev. Fr. Christian Anieke, stated this on Friday, May 5, at the presentation of a car to a university student who was made the VC for a day in the institution.

Categories
News

15-year-old boy breaks Jamb highest score, sets new record

A 15-year-old boy has performed excellently in his Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) exam as he sets a new record.

The student identified as Lotanna Azuokeke who’s from Ọba in Idemmili South LGA of Anambra State scored 88 in chemistry, 86 in physics, and 64 in the English Language and got an overall score of 337 points out of 400.

Reports of the boy’s superb academic brilliance was related by Dr Chiwuike Uba, the spokesperson for Lotanna’s school, Bishop Otubelu Juniorate, Trans Ekulu, Enugu State.

Lotanna broke the former highest score previously set by Chidera Obi who had scored 329 in the examination five years ago.

Categories
News

How To Check 2023 UTME Result

The results of the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted last Tuesday and Monday have been released by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

According to the Board, 1,595,779 candidates registered for the examination in 708 CBT centres in 105 examination towns in the country.

To check 2023 JAMB result, candidates can send an SMS with the same phone number that was used for registration.

Here is how to Check JAMB 2023 result using SMS

To check the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) result, all you need to do is to send UTMERESULT to 55019 or 66019 using the same phone number that he/she had used for registration.

After sending the SMS, the result would be returned as a text message.

This is the only process of checking the 2023 UTME results for now.

The following are the responses you should expect:

*If a candidate uses a phone number that was not used to register, a message will be sent to him thus: ‘This phone number was not used for registration.”

* A candidate with a result will receive the message: “Dear Mr/Miss X, your result is as follows… (and the details will be provided).

* If a result is withheld, a “Result Withheld” message will be sent to the candidate.

* If a candidate belongs to the category being given the benefit of the doubt, the message to the person will be: “Result withheld pending the upload of clarifications/document required from you.”

* If a candidate was absent, he or she would get “CANDIDATE ABSENT” as feedback

* A candidate that was ABSENT WITH REGISTRATION NUMBER also CANCELLED will be so informed.

* “Invalid Entrance into the Exam Hall” will be sent to a candidate who gained unauthorized access to the examination hall.

Categories
News

UNIBEN Final Year Student Dies In Her Sleep

Maria Precious Tunde, a final year student of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) has reportedly died in her sleep.

According to the Nigerian Tribune, the sad incident occurred on Sunday, April 30, 2023, at the deceased off-campus hostel, located at Ekosodin Village, a student town near the school.

It was gathered that late Maria was a final year student in the Faculty of Education, Ugbowo campus of the institution.

Sources also disclosed that the deceased was hale and hearty before going to bed on Saturday night, April 29, 2023.

All efforts to resuscitate her proved abortive. Co-tenants subsequently invited her parents to the scene.

Categories
News

JAMB To Release 2023 UTME Results Tuesday

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has confirmed that it will release the results of candidates that sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Board on Tuesday, May 2, 2023.

This was contained in the meeting minutes from the weekend emergency management meeting in Abuja.

The board stated that the delay in releasing results was due to the need to ensure that all necessary screenings were completed.

“The Board would be releasing the results of candidates, who have taken the examination so far on Tuesday, 2nd May, 2023. The Board had delayed the release to ensure that all necessary screening are concluded besides ensuring that the mean and standard deviation are reasonably obtained before releasing these results.

“As candidates check their results on Tuesday, 2nd May 2023, those who sat the examination but had challenges without being aware of such, would not see their results but would instead see their notification for rescheduled examination,” it said.

Similarly, the examination body noted that three categories of candidates who missed their exams had mop-ups rescheduled.

“All candidates, who could not sit the 2023 UTME within their scheduled time owing to no fault of theirs, would be rescheduled to take the examination on Saturday, 6th May 2023.

“Candidates under these categories are principally those who were verified at their centres but could not sit the examination; those who could not be biometrically verified, and those with mismatched data,”

“This has been largely achieved as the exercise recorded the lowest reported cases of infractions but with equally emerging challenges on account of human negligence which led to some candidates not being able to sit the examination on the first day. This notwithstanding, out of the 1,586,765 candidates that indicated an interest in sitting the examination, only 80,166 are now outstanding.

“On the first day of the 2023 UTME, a number of candidates in some centres could not sit the examination as well as in some centres in subsequent days due to diverse reasons. Though a reasonable number of them have been rescheduled and have taken the examination, some are yet to take their examination.

“As part of the decisions reached at the end of an emergency management meeting held on Sunday, 31st April 2023, the Board has fixed Saturday, 6th May 2023, for all categories of candidates who have not sat their examination, as listed below, to take their examination,” the board said.

Categories
News

I Have Been Through So Much – Late Alaafin’s Estranged Wife, Queen Ola Says

Queen Ola, the ex-wife of the Late Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi has opened up on life’s challenges.

In an Instagram post she shared, the Queen who separated from the late Oyo monarch before his death in 2022, stated that she has been through a lot.

Queen Ola however added that in spite of the challenges, she’s excited to be happy and loves the direction her life is headed in.

She Wrote;

”I have been through so much.

“I’m just happy to be HAPPY.

“I love the direction my life is headed in.

“Thank you, God, for making me a better person day by day”.

Categories
News

Dino Melaye: “I’ll run Kogi with fear of God”

Dino Melaye, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the November 11 Kogi governorship poll, says he would run an inclusive government if elected into office.

In a statement released on Saturday by Melaye’s media team, the PDP candidate spoke during a visit to the palace of Abdulrazaq Isa Koto, Ohimege Igu of Koton Karfi.

The former senator representing Kogi West said he would run the state with “fear of God” if elected.

Melaye added that he would be “a governor for all” regardless of ethnic group.

“As you are aware, His Royal Majesty, in the space of 4 years as senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I did 19 projects in your Kogi LGA. I have a very special relationship with Kogi and by the grace of God, when elected as governor, I will focus attention on the needs of our people, particularly the ecological challenges in this area,” the PDP candidate said.

“We are not unaware that the major business in this area is agriculture, trading and transportation. We shall make these ventures the focus of our administration by providing incentives that will encourage our people.

“I will be a Kogi governor that will govern our state with the fear of God. I will run an all-inclusive governance not as an Igala, Ebira, Okun, Kakanda, Bassa, Koto or Nupe governor but as a governor for all under the guidance of the Almighty God.

“I congratulate you as the leader of the Kogi west traditional rulers and I pray that under your leadership, Kogi West will produce a governor. I, therefore, seek your blessings as we go into the polls.”

On April 16, Melaye won the PDP primary for the Kogi gubernatorial election, defeating Idoko Ilonah, his closest challenger, by 189 votes.

He will face Ahmed Ododo, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in the governorship election scheduled to take place on November 11.

Categories
News

Fire Razes Part Of Ooni’s Palace

The PUNCH reports that a building which is located within the premises of Ile Oodua Palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has been burnt.

The building was razed down by fire, destroying valuables.

According to a source at Enuwa, Ile-Ife, where the palace is located, the incident happened around 11:30 pm Friday.

It was also learnt that when the smoke was noticed, the entire premises was thrown into panic, as those within the vicinity rallied efforts to prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the palace.

A statement by the monarch’s spokesperson, Moses Olafare, obtained in Osogbo on Saturday, said no casualty, no loss of any cultural item or injury was recorded in the inferno and blamed the incident on a power surge.

It further read in parts, “A building apartment within the courtyard of the Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife was at about 11:30 pm yesterday engulfed in flames of fire incident triggered by a power surge which exploded through electrical appliances in the affected apartment.

“The inferno did not spread beyond the affected building located at a section of the palace premises, as it was swiftly put off through the combined efforts of the Government Fire Service, OAU Fire Service & Palace Emergency Control Unit.

“No casualties, no injuries recorded, no cultural items lost,” Olafare said.