Categories
News

JAMB Permits Nigerian Universities And Tertiary Institutions To Accept Admission Seekers Who Turn 16 By August 31, 2025

On Thursday, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) announced that universities and other tertiary institutions in the country may now admit candidates who will be 16 years old by August 31, 2025.

The board announced that the affected candidates can be admitted for the 2024/2025 academic session if they meet the institution’s standards.

Recall that the minimum age for admission in tertiary institutions was earlier this year deliberated at the 2024 Policy Meeting and decided to be 16 years old for the 2024/25 academic session.

The cut-off date was subsequently put on December 31, 2024.

The development triggered reactions from parents and other concerned citizens, who expressed divergent views on the matter.

However, JAMB, in a statement issued on Thursday by its Public Relations Officer, Fabian Benjamin, said because some institutions extended admission periods until July 2025, it will allow institutions to admit candidates who will turn 16 by August 31, 2025.

“This effort is to ensure equity because those whose 2024 admission would last till August 2025 would not be unduly favoured. Any institution that insists on its 16 years being within the year 2024 is completely free to do so,” the statement added.

Categories
News

Naira Among Worst Performing Currencies In Africa – World Bank

As of the end of August 2024, the Nigerian Naira is one of the poorest-performing currencies in sub-Saharan Africa.

The World Bank disclosed this in its latest edition of Africa’s Pulse report.

Report showed that the Naira is at par with the Ethiopian Birr, and South Sudanese Pound in terms of decline in the region.

The report blamed the continued increase in the demand for dollars and limited dollar inflow for Naira depreciation in the last months.

According to the report, the Naira lost about 43 percent as of August.

“By August 2024, the Ethiopian birr, Nigerian naira, and South Sudanese pound were among the worst performers in the region.

“The Nigerian naira continued losing value, with a year-to-date depreciation of about 43 percent as of end-August.

“Surges in demand for US dollars in the parallel market, driven by financial institutions, money managers, and non-financial end-users, combined with limited dollar inflows and slow foreign exchange disbursements to currency exchange bureaus by the central bank explain the weakening of the naira,” it said.

Recall that the Naira weakened significantly on Tuesday to N1658.97 per dollar from N1552.92 exchanged on Monday.

In the past months, the Naira has continued to fluctuate against the dollar in the foreign exchange market despite interventions by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Nigeria’s inflation rose to 32.70 percent in September from 32.15 percent recorded in August 2024.

Despite this, the World Bank’s Economic growth in Nigeria is projected at 3.3 percent in 2024 and 3.6 percent in 2025–26.

Categories
News

Asiwaju of Osogboland, Ajadi Badmus is dead

The Osogbo community is mourning the loss ofAjadi Badmus, the Asiwaju of Osogboland, who passed away early on Sunday at the age of 83.

Family sources, who spoke to Daily Post on condition of anonymity, confirmed the sad news.

Alhaji Badmus was a prominent figure in Osogbo and hailed from the Adekilekun dynasty in the Isale-Osun area of the city, which is the capital of Osun State. His death marks the end of an era for the community.

He was the elder brother of prominent businessman Alhaji Khamis Olatunde Badmus, the Chairman of TUNS FARM and holds the title of Asiwaju Musulumi of Yorubaland.

At the time of this report, details surrounding the circumstances of his death and arrangements for his burial had not been disclosed by the family.

Alhaji Badmus succeeded Pa Ahmed Omidiran as the Asiwaju of Osogboland in 2022. Pa Omidiran, also a notable business tycoon, passed away in the same year at the age of 95.

The passing of Alhaji Badmus marks a significant loss for the Osogbo community, which remembers him for his leadership and contributions to the region.

The community awaits further details on the memorial and burial arrangements for the revered leader.

Categories
News

Why I Prefer Traditional Worship to Christianity, Islam — Wole Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has opened up that he prefers traditional Orisa worshipping to Christianity and Islam.
According to him, the deepness of faith in Islam and Christianity doesn’t match that of Orisa worshipping for him, adding that Orisa fascinated him a lot more.
Soyinka added that Orisa worshipping is one of the African religions that eschews violence and is more creative.
“I was fortunate to be born in two worlds – the Christian world and traditional Orisa worshippers. My grandfather, until he – poor man – also got converted – he was an Orisa person and a chief, and his (grandfather’s) side (of Orisa) fascinated me a lot more,” the playwright told CNN’s Larry Madowo, during an interview.
He added, “For me, it (Orisa worshipping) was more artistic, creative, and also more mysterious. I don’t find much of the mysterious in Christianity and even less in Islam and that is for a simple reason that I didn’t grow up in a Muslim environment.
 
“Orisa is open, and very ecumenical and that is why these foreign religions were able to penetrate it and even distort the truth. Because of the generosity of this spirit (Orisa), it is not violent. It is one of those African religions which eschew violence.
 
“I don’t believe in the Islamic or Christian God and for the adherents of these religions if that makes me an atheist, so I say, I am an atheist. I insisted that all human beings have a certain spiritual core in their being, I believe myself to be a more spirit-sensitive person.”
 
The literary icon also revealed that he said he doesn’t like to watch anything adapted from his life or works.
 
“Let me put it this way, turning anything in my life into what other people can watch pains me. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. It’s wrong to say it’s terrific, let me just say I’m detached from it.
 
“It takes me a while to bring myself to watch me.”
Categories
News

PDP To Inspect Edo Poll Materials Today – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced readiness to hand over electoral materials to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) today, October 9, for the Edo State gubernatorial polls held on September 21.

This development follows complaints from the PDP regarding delays in accessing these essential materials.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Edo State, Dr. Augbum Onuoha, confirmed in an interview with Punch on Tuesday that the PDP would receive the electoral materials, aimed at alleviating concerns regarding possible manipulation of the election results.

The situation escalated on Monday when the PDP’s National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, accused INEC of intentionally withholding electoral materials to allegedly alter them, thereby concealing any evidence of election rigging.

In response to these allegations, the REC stated, “We have asked them to come tomorrow (Wednesday) to access the materials.”

Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Osa Nehikhare, weighed in on the matter, accusing INEC of employing delay tactics in purported collusion with the All Progressives Congress (APC) to obstruct justice.

Nehikhare claimed these maneuvers were intended to frustrate the PDP’s efforts to contest the election results in court.

The election results declared by INEC showed that APC candidate Senator Monday Okpebholo emerged victorious with 291,667 votes, defeating PDP’s Asue Ighodalo, who garnered 247,274 votes.

In the wake of these results, both the PDP and Ighodalo have alleged electoral manipulation and have vowed to challenge the outcome in court.

To facilitate this legal challenge, the PDP secured a court order granting them access to inspect the electoral materials.

However, frustration grew as INEC allegedly denied them access to these materials, prompting Nehikhare to react.

Adding to the tension, the commissioner accused the APC of planning to set fire to the INEC office to destroy the BIVAS machines and other electoral materials, thereby eliminating evidence of alleged electoral fraud.

On Monday, the PDP legal team, led by Olusegun Jolaawo (SAN), visited the INEC headquarters in Benin City, seeking access to the BIVAS machine, voters register, ballot papers, and other election materials but were turned away despite presenting their court order.

In a show of solidarity, the women’s wing of the Edo PDP staged a protest on Tuesday, demanding the return of what they claim is Ighodalo’s stolen mandate.

Dressed in black attire and brandishing placards with various inscriptions, they vowed to continue their demonstrations until their demands are met.

Speaking to journalists in Benin, Stella Okoro, the group’s spokesperson and former Chairman of the Esan West Local Government Council, expressed their discontent with the election results, stating, “We are deeply pained by the outcome of the election.”

She added, “We are here today at the NUJ, to express our feelings, and our pains. We are troubled because of our stolen mandate. Our stolen mandate is what we are asking for.

“We are not lions and tigers, we voted. Edo people came out to vote for Asue Ighodalo and that is why we mothers are here today, we are in pains, we are mourning, we are on blacks, telling them to give us back our stolen mandate.

“They used INEC, police and soldiers to rob us. Before the election, they were embarrassing our sons and daughters.

“They arrested our people and they were taken to Abuja, some were in the State CID. We are not happy. We have never seen this kind of election before.

“Upon all the intimidation, upon all the money they spent, Edo people said no. It is Asue Ighodalo and Osarodion Ogie they want and they did and they won.

“Give us our mandate or else we will not rest until they give it to us. The Almighty God is hearing the women’s voice.”

But in response to the agitation by the PDP, the Director of Publicity, Edo APC Governorship Campaign Council, denied APC’s involvement in the matter.

He said, “The All Progressives Congress read the diatribe and attack on our party by the defeated Peoples Democratic Party in our dear state, with utter dismay at the falsehood, they have designed to mischievously misrepresent the true situation at the Benin Office of the Independent National Electoral Commission.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the presence of the APC youths at the INEC office is to safeguard our hard-earned victory, especially as we have trusted information that the PDP Chairman in Edo State, Tony Aziegbemi, has planned to take advantage of his acquittance with a female INEC ICT department staff, from one of the neighbouring states, to falsify some already declared results.

“We call on Nigerians to disregard the baseless statement credited to Asue Media Organisation, through one Erhabor Emokpae, accusing the police and other law enforcement agencies of planning to manipulate the electoral process to favour our party.

“This statement is an open demonstration of poor understanding of what electoral process is. Ighodalo and PDP must be reminded that the 2024 Edo State governorship election has been conducted and won by distinguished Senator Monday Okpebholo over two weeks ago.

“We will, nonetheless, excuse their confusion, which must be a result of concussion they suffered from the knockdown on September 21, 2024, and to simply inform them that the challenge they now face is a legal process, which has now become their albatross.

“The All Progressives Congress has no blame in the PDP judicial mishap.”

Categories
News

Google Celebrates Nigeria At 64

Google has celebrated Nigeria’s independence by using the Nigerian flag as its doodle.
The popular search engine owned by an American company also sent Nigeria a congratulatory message.
The message read:
“Today’s Doodle celebrates Nigeria’s Independence Day. On this day in 1960, the country became a sovereign republic and achieved independence from Great Britain.
 
To celebrate 64 years of independence, festivities begin with a presidential speech broadcast nationwide.. Across the country, parades bring joy and color to the streets. School children wear the national colors of green and white and march proudly in local processions. Likewise, in Abuja, the civil-military parades around Eagle Square, showcasing marching bands and breathtaking aerial flyovers.
 
Many Nigerians also celebrate their shared heritage and the nation’s cultural diversity by wearing outfits from various cultures or by sharing a meal of suya (spicy beef skewer) or jollof rice. To end the night, people gather to watch fireworks light up the sky.
 
Happy Independence Day, Nigeria!”
Categories
News

Oct 1st: President Tinubu To Address Nigerians In Nationwide Broadcast

President Bola Tinubu will address Nigerians in a nationwide broadcast on Tuesday, October 1, 2024, at 7 a.m.

This was made known in a statement on Monday by Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

The broadcast is part of activities to commemorate the 64th Independence Anniversary of the nation.

Television, radio stations and other electronic media outlets are enjoined to hook up to the network services of the Nigerian Television Authority and the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria for the broadcast.

Categories
News

ASUU Threatens Strike After Expiration Of 21-Day Ultimatum To Nigerian Govt

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has issued a warning that the Federal Government should be held accountable for any industrial unrest in Nigeria’s public universities.

ASUU issued the warning in a statement signed by the union’s Federal University, Dutse, FUD, Chairman, Comrade Dr Salim Ahmad.

The union noted that over the past four years, Nigeria’s public universities have been in a state of industrial disharmony, leading to two costly and avoidable strike actions.


“The leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities has made several concerted efforts to dialogue with government officials, including the President, with a view to addressing the outstanding issues in the agreement and the various memoranda signed between the Union and the Federal Government.

” Unfortunately, the Tinubu administration, like the Buhari’s, has been unyielding.

“The nonchalant attitude of the administration to our legitimate and reasonable demands compelled the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU, following wide consultations, to convene a meeting at the University of Ibadan from 17th to 18th August, 2024, where it exhaustively deliberated on the contending issues and resolved to give a 21-day ultimatum to the Federal Government of Nigeria to address them.

“This ultimatum was duly communicated to the government through the Minister of Education via a letter dated 20th August, 2024,” the statement said.

The statement added that after the expiration of the 21-day ultimatum, the Federal Government has not demonstrated any genuine commitment to address the issues in contention.

ASUU said failure of the Federal Government to meet the monetary and non-monetary demands of the union is brewing industrial disharmony in Nigeria’s public universities.

Categories
News

Independence Day: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

To commemorate the nation’s 64th Independence Day, the Federal Government has declared Tuesday, October 1, 2024, a public holiday.

The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, made the declaration on Saturday on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Dr Magdalene Ajani.

Tunji-Ojo congratulated Nigerians at home and abroad on this occasion and praised the patient and hardworking Nigerian men and women, stating that their sacrifices would not be in vain.

He reiterated the need for Nigerians to reflect on the “labour of our heroes past and be inspired for the tasks ahead, realizing that a Nigeria of our dream can only be built when we unite.”

While wishing Nigerians a Happy Independence Day anniversary, Tunji-Ojo urged the citizens to continue to be steadfast in nation-building.

Categories
News

Cabinet Reshuffling: Power Minister Adelabu Must Be Removed – VeryDarkMan

In anticipation of President Bola Tinubu’s upcoming cabinet reshuffle, prominent social critic Martins Otse, better known as VeryDarkMan (VDM), has urged the removal of Chief Adebayo Adelabu, the Minister of Power.

Recalls that Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy had on Wednesday stated that cabinet reshuffling is eminent.

There are indications that some ministers may be removed while others may be given another portfolio.

Reacting, VDM in a video clip on his Facebook page on Friday pleaded with the president to spare performing ministers.

He, however, said the Minister of Power must be removed, explaining that the “segregation surrounding Band A, Band B and Band C” does not make sense.

He wondered why a section of Nigerians would enjoy power supply for 20 hours in a day while others cannot.

He said: “If at all any minister must be removed or reshuffled, it should be the Minister of Power. They need to remove that guy.

“My reason is this, the segregation surrounding the Band A, Band B and Band C issues makes no sense. What is the reason for that segregation? Are you trying to say that poor people do not have access to light?

“Is it that the poor people are not supposed to use light for 24 hours? It makes no sense because we are all Nigerians.”