Categories
News

They Both Belong To Us – Akwa Ibom Gov Pledges Support For Comfort Emmanson, Ibom Air

Pastor Umo Eno, the Akwa Ibom State Governor, has pledged support for Comfort Emmanson, the embattled passenger involved in a confrontation with Ibom Air.

The governor equally pledged support for the airline, which is owned by Akwa Ibom State government.

Emmanson is also an indigene of Akwa Ibom.

Eno, who did not disclose the nature of the planned support, said Emmanson and the the airline “belong to Akwa Ibom State hence should be supported”.

Recall that Emmanson following her altercation with the crew members was remanded and later pardoned by the aviation minister, Festus Keyamo.

She claimed in an interview that she had been traumatized and unable to move around and interact with people any longer as her body had been unduly exposed .

Speaking during a grand reception held for him at his home local government area – Nsit Ubium – on Saturday, Eno advised that Akwa Ibom people should not join the fray in apportioning blames either to the airline or the passenger, who he said might have made mistakes.

He said, “We will continue to support our flagship airline , the Ibom Air. Every Akwa Ibom person should be proud of the airline which has flown our colours.

“Our money is invested in Ibom Air, so you should be proud of the airline. If there was any crisis, do not join issues with others who are spoilers because they don’t love good things.

“Whatever had transpired, we will solve the problem. It was a small mistake, both parties belong to us. The lady is our daughter. When two people fight, there is always the third person to separate the fight.”

Categories
News

UNIZIK Reacts Following The D3ath Of Diabetic Law Student At University Medical Centre

Nnamdi Azikiwe University has released the findings of its investigation into the de@th of a 100-level law student.

Miss Isabella Chioma Ajana died on July 9, 2025, three days after she was rushed to the school’s medical centre with complications arising from her diabetic condition.

According to Ms. Ajana’s roommates at Elmada hostel, they had lost their room key and approached the hostel mistress for a spare key but the mistress allegedly insisted they paid N120,000 to get the spare, meaning, the three roommates had to pay N40,000 each.

The girls said they did not have the money so they pleaded that Ms. Ajana desperately needed her insulin medication but the hostel mistress “did not budge.”

This they said, led to the decline of Ms. Ajana’s health and it ended in her de@th days later at the University Medical Center.

Reacting, Nnamdi Azikiwe University released a statement on Friday evening  August 22, announcing that the medical personnel at the University Medical Centre who handled Ms. Ajana’s case have been suspended for three months by which time investigation would have been concluded and their fate decided.

As for the hostel mistress, Unizik stated that Elmada is a jointly owned hostel but is privately managed.

The institution demanded that the management of Elmada hostel should sack her “as a matter of urgency”. Unizik added that they will re-evaluate their partnership with the hostel going forward.

See the full statement below…

Categories
News

2027: PDP Governors In Closed-Door Meeting

Nigerian State Governors elected on the platform of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are reportedly holding a closed-door meeting at the Government House in Gusau, the Zamfara State capital.

Although the detailed agenda of the meeting has not been disclosed, the meeting is widely expected to address pressing national issues, the party’s internal strategy, and preparations ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Discussions are also anticipated to focus on the forthcoming PDP National Executive Committee (NEC) convention, scheduled to hold in Ibadan, Oyo State, on November 15 and 16, 2025.

The meeting comes at a time of heightened political activity across Nigeria, with major parties positioning themselves ahead of the next electoral cycle.

Nigerian cultural tourism packages

For the PDP, which lost the presidency since 2015 to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), internal cohesion has been a recurring challenge.

The planned NEC convention in November is expected to play a significant role in addressing factional divisions and setting the tone for the party’s campaign machinery.

Analysts say the choice of Zamfara for the gathering is also symbolic, as the PDP currently controls only a handful of northwestern states.

Strengthening the party’s presence in the region is seen as key to regaining national influence.

The PDP Governors’ Forum, which serves as a coordinating body for all PDP governors, has traditionally played a major role in shaping party direction and policy. ,

Its resolutions often influence decisions taken at the national level, particularly in times of internal crisis.

As the closed-door session continues, Nigerians and party faithful alike await details of the communique expected at the end of the meeting.

Categories
News

NDLEA Arrests 27-Year-Old With N10m Worth Of Cannabis In Kano

The Kano Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a 27-year-old suspect, Umar Adamu-Umar, for allegedly being in possession of 9 kilograms of Cannabis Sativa (Colorado) valued at over N10 million.

This is contained in a statement issued on Saturday in Kano by the command’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Sadiq Muhammad-Maigatari.

He said that the suspect, a resident of Fagge Local Government Area of Kano State, was arrested on August 6, along the Zaria–Kano Road by the operatives of the NDLEA attached to the Kiru Area Command of Kano.

According to him, the suspect was intercepted while conveying 19 parcels of the illicit substance from Lagos to Kano.

“The suspect confessed to being involved in the illegal drug trade and had been under surveillance by the command for some time,”
Muhammad-Maigatari said

He explained that the interception dealt a major financial blow to the trafficking network as it denied traffickers substantial revenue, disrupted their supply chain and reduced funds available for further criminal activities

“Removing this quantity from circulation also helps protect vulnerable communities from the social and economic harms associated with the trade in narcotics,”
he added.

The spokesperson said the Strategic Command under the leadership of Mr Abubakar Idris-Ahmad would intensify patrols and intelligence‑led operations to curb drug trafficking in the state.

Categories
News

EFCC Invites CBEX Crypto Scam Victims To Lagos, Ibadan Offices To Assist Investigation

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has urged Nigerians who lost funds to the fraudulent online trading platform Crypto Bridge Exchange (CBEX) to visit its Ibadan and Lagos offices to assist with investigations into the alleged multi-million-naira scam.

In a statement issued on Friday by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the anti-graft agency disclosed that three suspects — Adefowoara Abiodun Olanipekun, Otorudo Avwerosuo, and Ehirim Justice Chukwuebuka — are already facing prosecution over their alleged roles in the scheme.

The EFCC said CBEX lured unsuspecting Nigerians with promises of mouth-watering returns on cryptocurrency investments but eventually collapsed, leaving many victims stranded and devastated.

According to the Commission, the fraudsters operated through offices in Ibadan, Oyo State, and Idimu, Lagos, where several victims invested funds they could no longer retrieve.

“The scheme led to serious financial losses for Nigerians who invested their funds with the promise of unrealistic returns on investment.

“In view of the foregoing, and the need to assist the Commission in its ongoing investigation, the EFCC is inviting victims who invested their funds through individuals linked to the CBEX offices in Ibadan and Idimu, Lagos, to report to its Ibadan Zonal Directorate and Lagos Zonal Directorate 2,” the statement partly reads.

Categories
News

Why Nigeria’s Judiciary Is Deeply Compromised – Obasanjo Speaks

On Friday, former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo voiced concern that Nigeria’s judiciary is now “deeply compromised.”

Obasanjo noted that corruption among judges has turned Nigerian courts into “court of corruption rather than courts of justice”.

The ex-President made the assertion in his new book, ‘Nigeria: Past and Future’, published by the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library.

The former Nigerian leader lamented what he described as the “steady decline of the judiciary’s integrity”.

“The reputation of the Nigerian judiciary has steadily gone down from the four eras up till today. The rapidity of the precipitous fall, particularly in the Fourth Republic, is lamentable,”
he wrote.

The former military Head of State equally stated that justice had become commodified in Nigeria, with dangerous consequences for the nation’s stability.

“The great fear of most well-meaning Nigerians and good friends of Nigeria is that where ‘justice’ is only available to the highest bidder, despair, anarchy, and violence would substitute justice, order, and hope.

“I went to a state in the North about ten years after I left public office. Next to the government guest house was a line of six duplex buildings.

“The governor pointed to the buildings and stated that they belonged to a judge who put them up from the money he made from being the chairman of election tribunals,” Obasanjo said.

He accused the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Mahmood Yakubu, of undermining the electoral process since 2015.

“No wonder politicians do not put much confidence in an election which the INEC of Professor Mahmood Yakubu polluted and grossly undermined to make a charade,”
he added.

Categories
News

They Want To K!ll Me – Sunday Igboho Speaks On DSS Raid

Sunday Adeyemo, the Yoruba freedom fighter, who is popularly known as Igboho, has claimed that the Department of State Services (DSS) invaded his home in an attempt to k!ll him.

Igboho was declared wanted after confronting Fulani herders accused of k!lling farmers in the South-West, as well as for championing the Yoruba Nation agitation.

On July 1, 2021, DSS operatives stormed his residence in Ibadan, Oyo State, in an effort to arrest him.

During the raid, the activist evaded capture and later fled to Benin Republic, where he was arrested at the airport while attempting to travel to Germany. He subsequently faced trial there before being released following interventions by Nigerian leaders.

Igboho, however, claimed that the operatives fired multiple shots at him during the invasion but that divine intervention saved his life.

Speaking at the palace of the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye III, he said: “When my house was invaded, they wanted to k!ll me but failed. Some said my intestines were shattered, others said my leg was broken, but there was nothing of such.

“They fired guns at me very well, but the prayers of you, my fathers, on me were answered.”

Categories
News

2027: I’ll Run With Peter Obi – Datti Baba-Ahmed Says

Datti Baba-Ahmed, the Labour Party’s 2023 presidential running mate, said on Friday that he is open to contesting alongside Peter Obi again in 2027.

Baba-Ahmed stated that he would consider running with Obi if Nigeria’s electoral system improves.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, he said: “If Nigeria is still around and there is an electoral system to follow, my love for Nigeria is undying, mark that.

“I will appropriately associate with groups and individuals I think are like minded.”

On the possibility of still running with Peter Obi, he said: “Absolutely, if you had heard what I was saying on air two months ago, there are two individuals that I would succumb to.

“The first has not said, so I won’t say it on his behalf, and the second one is Peter Obi and always Peter Obi until he decides not to.”

When asked if he would consider running with Rotimi Amaechi, he said: “The first person is not Rotimi Amaechi. Amaechi is a good guy. By the way, why do you think that I have to be a deputy? Don’t keep looking at me like a deputy.”

Categories
News

NAFDAC Raises The Alarm Over Fake Milk In Circulation (Photos)

Counterfeit Cowbell 12g sachet milk. Photo: NAFDAC

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Friday warned about the circulation of counterfeit Cowbell “Our Milk” 12g sachets in Nigeria.

The alert posted on the agency’s website stated that Promasidor Nigeria Ltd, which is the marketing authorisation jolder and manufacturer of Cowbell “Our Milk” informed the agency about the existence of a product bearing a close resemblance to the genuine Cowbell “Our Milk” 12g sachet Milk.

“This includes unauthorised use of the brand name, packaging design, NAFDAC registration number, and trademark.

“The MAH has confirmed that these products are neither manufactured or distributed by them as the counterfeit packaging design was last used for production by the company in September 2023,” NAFDAC noted.

Differentiating, it said the genuine cowbell milk is creamy, the packaging material used is the revised PNG artwork “Our Creamy Goodness”, the printing of the batch details is done with laser printing, the coding is done on the coding area on the sachet, and the sealing and cutting on the vertical sides are automated.

The genuine Cowbell 12g sachet milk. Photo: NAFDAC

It said the content of the counterfeit Cowbell 12g sachet milk does not seem like milk, the packaging material used is the old PNG artwork “Our Milk”, the printing of the batch details was done with ink instead of laser printing, the coding was not done on the coding area but on a different part of the sachet, and the sealing and cutting on the vertical sides were manually done.

It added, “The use or consumption of counterfeit Cowbell ‘Our Milk’ Milk presents serious health and safety risks.

“Such products may contain harmful substances, including toxic chemicals, unapproved additives, or diluted ingredients that do not meet food safety standards.

“Consumption of counterfeit milk can result in foodborne illnesses, allergic reactions, organ damage, or even death in severe cases. Infants, children, pregnant women, and the elderly are particularly vulnerable.”

The agency urged all NAFDAC zonal directors and state coordinators to conduct surveillance and mop up the counterfeit Cowbell 12g sachet Milk products within their zones and states.

“Distributors, retailers, and consumers are advised to exercise caution and vigilance within the supply chain to prevent the distribution, sale, and use of the counterfeit milk product.

“All food products must be obtained from authorised/licensed manufacturers/suppliers. The products’ authenticity and physical condition should be carefully checked.

“Healthcare professionals and consumers are advised to report any suspicion of sale of substandard and counterfeit food products to the nearest NAFDAC office, NAFDAC on 0800-162-3322 or via email: sf.alert@nafdac.gov.ng

“Similarly, healthcare professionals and patients are also encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of counterfeited food products to the nearest NAFDAC office, or through the use of the E-reporting platforms available on the NAFDAC website www.nafdac.gov.ng or via e-mail on pharmacovigilance@nafdac.gov.ng,” it said.

Categories
News

Tinubu Unveils Personal Income Tax Calculator for Nigerians

President Bola Tinubu has announced the launch of the personal income tax calculator.
The tax calculator was launched on Thursday to help Nigerians estimate their tax liabilities under the new tax regime that takes effect in January 2026.
In a post on X, Tinubu said the tool was developed to simplify compliance, ensure fairness, and protect low-income earners.
“With the new tax laws I recently signed, taking effect from January 2026, we have lifted this burden and created a path of equity, fairness, and true redistribution in our economy,” he wrote.
According to him, the calculator allows individuals to compare their estimated tax under the new laws with what they currently pay, highlighting the reforms’ progressivity and transparency.
The president urged citizens to try the tool at fiscalreforms.ng, while calling on Nigerians to have faith in the country’s future.
Recall that Tinubu recently signed four tax reform bills into law: the Nigeria Tax (Fair Taxation) Law, the Nigeria Tax Administration Law, the Joint Revenue Board (Establishment) Law, and the Nigeria Revenue Service (Establishment) Law.
The laws will come into effect on January 1, 2026, and are aimed at restoring fairness in the tax system and boosting inclusive economic growth.