Categories
News

EFCC Arrests Five Suspected Fraudsters In Lagos

Five suspected internet fraudsters have been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in Lagos.

The suspects were identified as Tamaraemi Akpoviri, Jonathan Oshioke Okhumode, Jordan O. Clifford, Okorie J. Christian and Enabule Peace Osaro.

They were arrested during a sting operation at the Buena Vista Estate, Orchid Road, Lekki area of Lagos State, following an intelligence report on the activities of some individuals suspected to be internet fraudsters in the area.

Items recovered from the suspects at the point of arrest include exotic cars, mobile devices and laptop computers.

The Commission added that suspects will be charged to court once investigations are concluded.

Categories
News

Kidney Stone As Long As A Banana And Size Of A Grapefruit Sets New Guinness World Record After It’s Removed From A Patient

The world’s largest kidney stone has been removed from a patient in Sri Lanka.

–Advertisements–

The kidney stone is about the size of a grapefuit, as long as a banana and as heavy as four hamsters.

At 13.372 centimeters (5.26 inches) long and weighing 801 grams (1.76 lbs) the kidney stone broke two world records when it was removed by Sri Lankan Army doctors on June 1, according to the Guinness World Records.

Previously the records were 13 centimeters for length, set in India in 2004, and 620 grams for weight, set in Pakistan in 2008, according to the Guinness World Records.

Guinness World Records has confirmed that both records have been broken by the Sri Lankan stone, removed at the Colombo Army Hospital.

Kidney stones consist of solid pieces of material that crystallize in the kidney, ureters or bladder due to genetic and environmental factors.

According to the Mayo Clinic, drinking as much as 2 to 3 quarts (1.89 to 2.8 liters) of water per day can help remove small stones – less than 3 millimeters (0.11 inches) in diameter – by flushing out the urinary system.

Categories
News

Tinubu Wants To Start Seeing Receipts Of Students’ Loan By September

President Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has stated that he wants to see recipients of students loan by September/October 2023/2024 Academic Session.

This was confirmed by the Federal Ministry of Education at a press conference on Wednesday, June 14.

Andrew David Adejo, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, noted that government can no longer foot the bill of universities.

He said;

“Whether we like it or not, the government can no longer foot the bill for universities. That is why we are doing private public partnership. The universities already have autonomy, they autonomy they are yet to have is financial autonomy, it is when the get it that they can answer that question and the government is working towards that.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed that he wants to see recipients of the loans by September/ October of 2023/2024 academic session and that as such, an inter-ministerial committee will be inaugurated on Tuesday to fine tune the process for students to get the loan within six weeks.

“Without meaning to say what the committee set up would do, we don’t want to make something that only public school students would benefit from, for now private schools are paying tuition so you have to give somebody who is going to private school an opportunity for get and pay tuition.

“What you have been seeing is the bill that was presented and went through final reading at the House of Representatives and before Mr. President signs a bill, he looks at it and sends it to relevant ministries and then decides if it is okay and if there are modifications that are necessary. Let us wait to see the Act and you will get the Act when it is transmitted to the ministry of justice to produce into a gazette.”

Adejo further revealed that asides from tuition, there are other fees the loan could cover. He said;

“You can’t give someone loan and say pay tuition without sustaining his school, No, you have to get accommodation, even if tuition fee in public universities are free you still pay for your accommodation and federal government would not give you loan that will not make sure you get in school, stay in school and graduate.”

On why same loan failed in the past, the permanent secretary said;

“We want the current act to learn from the mistake of the past where there are more defaulters than people that paid the bill, the past is like it is a government money come and take and go, free money but that is not going to be the case with this.”

Categories
News

Bandits Break Wall To Gain Access Into House In Zamfara, Stab Man To Death And Abduct His Daughter

A businessman identified as Emeka Onyeji has been stabbed to death by suspected bandits who also abducted his teenage daughter, Precious, in Gusau, Zamfara State.

It was gathered that the gunmen invaded Emeka’s residence in the Bayan NTA area of Gusau on Tuesday night, June 13, 2023, stabbed him to death with a sword and whisked away his daughter.

Details of the incident are still sketchy at the time of filing this report but LIB gathered that the bandits broke a wall to gain access to the victim’s house.

The deceased was the chairman of Amaiiyi Welfare  Association in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State.

Categories
News

Hoodlums Hack Landlord To Death In Ogun For Reprimanding Them For Stealing Shawarma

A landlord, Akinola Agbede has been reportedly hacked to death by suspected hoodlums in his residence in the Ajuwon area of Akute, a border in Ogun and Lagos states.

The police in Ogun state have arrested three suspects in connection with the gruesome murder.

According to Punch, the hoodlums perpetrated the crime after Agbede reprimanded two suspects who were apprehended for stealing shawarma at a shop close to his residence.

A resident in the area who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the two suspects, after being cautioned and released by elders in the community, allegedly mobilized the hoodlums to attack the deceased at his residence.

The resident said prior to the attack, the suspects had threatened to cut Agbede’s hand for hitting one of them when they were being paraded in the community for stealing shawarma.

“We were told one of the boys stole shawarma. When the boy stole the shawarma, some elders in the area caught him and his accomplice and paraded them in the area. They were made to kneel down and given some other punishments. When Agbede came around, he wondered why the suspects, whose ages were between 21 and 25, would be stealing. He asked why they decided to be stealing at such a young age and hit one of them with his hand. He later left the place and the elders in the community released the suspects afterwards.

But after some time, one of the boys (suspects) told Agbede that they would cut the hand he used in hitting them. A day before they attacked Agbede at his house, the suspects used dangerous weapons including broken bottles to chase him in the area.”

The resident of the area added that Agbede was at home with his family members when the suspects and their accomplices invaded his premises and used a machete to hack him to death in front of his wife.

“Agbede was stabbed to death with a machete at midnight on June 8. The hoodlums were later arrested by policemen attached to the Ajuwon Police Station. It was a sad experience for his family because he was already planning to travel abroad with his wife and children. Because their visas were even ready, he sold his house; he collected N10m and had a balance of N1.5m.

Agbede’s wife and children had been taken away from the house because of the shock of the incident. I can no longer visit the house also as blood was all over the crime scene.” the source said

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the state police command, Omolola Odutola, said three suspects had been arrested and investigation into the matter is ongoing.

Categories
News

K1 De Ultimate Begs President Tinubu To Pardon Sunday Igboho

Fuji musician King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal aka K1 De Ultimate has sent a message to President Bola Tinubu.
He pleaded with Tinubu to pardon embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho so that he can return to the country.
Recall that in July 2021, Igboho was arrested by the Interpol at Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Prior to his arrest, the Department of State Services (DSS) declared him wanted for allegedly stockpiling weapons in his residence.
The secession agitator was detained in a prison in the Benin Republic but was released in March 2022 to get medical attention on the condition that he would not leave the West African country.
Since his release, Igboho has remained confined within Cotonou.
K1 De Ultimate, in his passionate appeal during a live performance, sang melodiously on the need for peace in the country, calling for Igboho’s pardon.
He urged Tinubu to harmonise all interests, premising his argument on Nigeria’s unity.
He said: “Asiwaju, please anyone who has offended you, kindly forgive them. Irrespective of their tribes — Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa — we need to embrace ourselves.
 
“Akanbi, please let Sunday Igboho come back home, he’s one of our own. ‘Omo eni o sedi bebere, ka fi ileke si idi omo elomi’ (the borrowed translation is — “One cannot say because one’s daughter has ample buttocks he would put the waistbeads on another man’s daughter”)
 
“Please when you (Tinubu) settle properly in office, kindly resolve this grey area. Let Sunday Igboho return to his root. Likewise other agitators from various regions, call their leaders to a roundtable discussion. 
 
“I know it is what you can do, and you can do it.”
Kwam 1 further prayed for the success of Tinubu’s administration.
Categories
News

Atiku Summons INEC Chairman, Secretary To Testify In Tribunal

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has summoned Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.

Atiku, through his lawyer, says he has subpoenaed Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, the National Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to testify in court.

The lead counsel to Atiku, Chris Uche, who addressed the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja on Tuesday, said he had also summoned the Secretary to the commission, Mrs Rose Omoa Oriaran-Anthony.

Atiku is challenging INEC’s declaration of President Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner of the February 25 presidential election.

The petition resumed hearing with the lead counsel to Atiku informing the court that he was calling the first witness of the day, making him that the 19th witness to testify in the matter.

The 19th witness is a star witness, was one Mr Alex Adumter, a lawyer and politician as well as the National Coordinator of the PDP Situation Room.

However, members of counsel to the first respondent (INEC), the second and third respondents (Bola Tinubu/Shettima) and the fourth respondent (APC) raised objections to the admissibility of the witness’ statement on oath.

However, counsel to the petitioner (Atiku) urged the court to discountenance the objection in its entirety.

The court admitted the statement on oath, while it reserved ruling on the matter till judgement day.

The star witness deposed to three statements on oath, which the court adopted.

The witness also tendered, along with his statement on oath, three videos of the INEC Chairman, INEC commissioner Festus Okoye, and the European Union (EU) election observer mission, as evidence.

Counsel to Atiku applied to the court for the video evidence to be played in the open court, an application the court granted.

One of the videos contained a news conference of the INEC Chairman in which he promised real-time transmission of election results and the non-use of incidence forms as the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) would be the only device to be used.

Also tendered were copies of screenshots of the INEC Results Viewing Portal (IReV) where the results were posted.

Categories
News

Student Loan: NANS Demands ASUU’s Removal From Board

The PUNCH reports that the leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students has visited President Bola Tinubu.

NANS visited President Tinubu on Tuesday over the student loan bill that he signed into law on Monday.

The NANS delegation was led by the body’s National President, Umar Barambu.

Speaking to State House Correspondents after engagements with the President, Barambu revealed that they urged him to review the constitution of the special committee that will oversee the new Nigerian Education Loan Fund to include student representatives.

The NANS President said: “We thank the President for the Students Loan Bill.

“We have outlined the clauses that we are not too comfortable with. And part of them is the issue of that board that we mentioned to the President, which we said at least students’ representatives should be captured and there are some organisations that they put there, which to us, they don’t need to be there.

“We gave him an example, most especially the Nigerian Bar Association, ASUU. ASUU has its own  microfinance bank running their own affairs without students on their board. So, I don’t think it’s wise for us to allow them to be inside our own board because it is purely students.

“We are the major stakeholders of that bank. So I don’t think allowing them to be there is good. Not only them, we mentioned a lot of people that they should remove and put more of student-oriented organisation.”

In response,  the President promised to consider the requests of the NANS leaders but urged the students’ body to ensure unity among its members across the country to achieve more.

“You have to promote unity and stability among each other. You have to employ democratic means in your programmes and elections. I have to say anyone who is unable to accept and celebrate a free and fair election, does not deserve the joy of victory,” Tinubu said.

The President stresed that poverty should not prevent any Nigerian from obtaining quality education at the highest levels.

Therefore, he pledged that his administration would commit more resources to the education sector to ensure that every Nigerian child, regardless of their background, has access to quality education.

“Poverty should not prevent anybody, any child, including the daughter or son of a wood seller, ‘boli’ (plantain) seller or yam seller from attaining their highest standard of education, to eliminate poverty,” Tinubu said when he received the leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students at the State House, Abuja.

“If we all believe that education is the greatest weapon against poverty, then we have to invest in it. If you eliminate poverty from one family, you can carry the rest of the weight,” the President said.

He thanked the students for supporting the removal of subsidy on petrol, explaining the reasons behind the decision and the need to curb smuggling.

“I’m glad you understand the reason for the subsidy removal. We were at a point where Nigeria tried to draw water from a dry well and that is no longer acceptable and we equally must not continue to service the smugglers because they used to take our tankers and Premium Motor Spirit across the borders.  We will put our money where our mouth is,” he said.

Categories
News

Nigerian Man Arrested With 40 grams Of Cocaine In India

A Nigerian national, Augustine Chukwudi Anafe, has been arrested in India for illegal possession of 40 grams of cocaine worth Rs 4 lakh.

His arrest comes after the anti-narcotic cell (ANC) of Goa Police conducted a raid during the early hours of Tuesday, June 13, 2023, at Siolim.

The accused, who was residing at Siolim, was previously arrested by ANC in 2018 wherein he was apprehended with drugs such as LSD liquid, cocaine and ganja worth Rs 2 lakh.

The accused was out on bail and not attending court proceedings for which a proclamation was issued against him by the court.

The ANC team developed intelligence through informers, and surveillance was maintained through technical analysis. A trap was laid by ANC, and the Nigerian national was successfully apprehended with the contraband.

The raid was conducted by the ANC team led by PSI Rohan Madgaonkar along with HC Kamlesh Dessai, HC Pramod Kalangutkar, PCs Prashant Sutar, Mandar Naik and Sairaj Naik and supervised by PI ANC Sajith Pillai.

DYSP ANC Shri Nerlon Albuquerque and SP ANC Shri Shivendu Bhushan IPS monitored the raid.

The case is being further investigated by PSI Priyanka Garodi.

Categories
News

Stock Market Jumps To 15-Year High After Emefiele’s Suspension

The Nigerian stock market has risen dramatically, according to reports.

The stock market rose to its highest level since July 2008 on Tuesday, the first day of trading after the suspension of the Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele.

According to a report by Bloomberg, investors are betting on a currency devaluation and sent the main index of the Nigerian Exchange to above 57,437 points, which contrasted with a flat performance for MSCI’s main emerging equity benchmark.

The report stated that this move takes the country’s stocks’ year-to-date gains to 11.8 per cent, almost double the six per cent return on the MSCI index.

It noted that the rally, which followed increased gains on Nigerian dollar bonds on Monday, reflected optimism over the policy signals from the newly elected President, Bola Tinubu.

The head of research at Chapel Hill Denham, Tajudeen Ibrahim, stated, “An improvement in the economy will enhance the performance of companies operating in the market.”

Since resuming office, the new president has scrapped fuel subsidy and recently suspended the apex bank’s governor, Emefiele.

The NGX Banking Index has since risen by 8.5 per cent to 570.64, its biggest advance in more than eight years.

Ibrahim, added, “The exchange rate convergence is expected to lead to improvement in liquidity in the foreign currency market and will increase trading activities for the banks.”

Meanwhile, pressure is mounting on the naira to fall towards its market value. The currency has fallen to 474 per dollar, with traders betting on further depreciation.