Categories
News

PDP Condemns Moves to Block Senator Natasha’s Resumption at National Assembly

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has slammed the Godswill Akpabio-led Senate over moves to stop Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan from resuming at the Senate after what it called an unjust six months’ suspension imposed on her by the Senate leadership.
Recall that the Senate clerk had sent a letter to the suspended senator saying she cannot resume after the completion of her six-months suspension since the matter is in court and until the legal process is completed, she cannot resume  for her legislative activities in the red chamber.
In a statement signed by its national publicity secretary, Debo Ologunagba, the party said the reported action by the clerk smacked of a ‘calculated attempt being orchestrated by the Senator Godswill Akpabio-led All Progressives Congress (APC) Senate leadership to breach the right of representation of the people of Kogi Central Senatorial District and deny them a voice at the highest law-making body in the country.’
PDP in its statement said the attempt to use the National Assembly establishment against an elected Senator in gross violation of the provisions of the Constitution and Standing Rules of the Senate is highly provocative and constitutes a clear and present danger to democracy and overall stability of our country.
“It also comes as parts of the antics being deployed severally by the APC-controlled Senate and the Federal Government to suffocate the opposition which further confirms the creeping totalitarianism in our country under the APC government,” Ologungaba said in a statement.
He said the reported action by the Clerk of the National Assembly against Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan further brings to the fore the allegations of attacks on the right of women and sustained attempts to stifle their voices as witnessed in the various accusations of harassment against women levelled against the current Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio over the years.
“The PDP demands that the Senate President should come clean on the various allegations instead of seeking to use the National Assembly establishment to further harass, intimidate and keep Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan away from the Senate.
 
The extreme persecution of six months suspension unjustly imposed on Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, contrary to the Rules of the Senate is more than enough and the PDP stands with the people of Kogi Central and all well-meaning Nigerians in condemning this unwarranted renewed attack on Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan.
 
Our Party strongly cautions the Clerk of the National Assembly to withdraw the said letter and play by the rules by being neutral as a bureaucrat and not allow himself to be politically entangled and used as a tool to undermine democracy and the Rule of Law in the National Assembly and Nigeria.Nigerian fashion
 
The PDP calls on the International Community, Democracy Institutions, Right Advocacy Groups and other democracy development partners to rise up in condemnation of this renewed attack on Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan.
 
While charging Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan to discountenance the reported letter by the Clerk of the National Assembly and get ready to resume at the Senate, the PDP demands that the Senate leadership ensures that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan is allowed to resume her duties and perform her roles as an elected Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria unhindered,” PDP said
Categories
News

Nigerian Doctors To Decide On Nationwide Strike Today

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) will today (Wednesday) convene its National Executive Council meeting to decide on the next steps regarding its pending ultimatum to the Federal Government.

The association had earlier issued a 10-day ultimatum to relevant government agencies, warning that members would embark on a nationwide strike if their demands were not met.

The threat comes amid mounting pressure on Nigeria’s fragile public health system, which is already grappling with a shortage of doctors, poor infrastructure, and overcrowded hospitals.

Resident doctors, who constitute the majority of the medical workforce in teaching and specialist hospitals, have repeatedly gone on strike in recent years over unpaid wages, poor welfare, and inadequate working conditions.

Experts warn that another shutdown could cripple healthcare delivery, forcing patients to seek expensive private care and worsening health outcomes nationwide.

In a communiqué issued on September 1, 2025, and signed by NARD President, Dr. Tope Osundara; General Secretary, Dr. Oluwasola Odunbaku; and Publicity and Social Secretary, Dr. Omoha Amobi, the doctors demanded immediate payment of the outstanding 2025 Medical Residency Training Fund, settlement of five months’ arrears from the 25–35 per cent Consolidated Medical Salary Structure review, and other long-standing salary backlogs.

They also demanded the payment of the 2024 accoutrement allowance arrears, prompt disbursement of specialist allowances, and restoration of the recognition of the West African postgraduate membership certificates.

In addition, they called on the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria to issue membership certificates to all deserving candidates, implement the 2024 CONMESS, resolve outstanding welfare issues in Kaduna State, and address the plight of resident doctors at LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso.

Speaking with The PUNCH on Tuesday, Dr. Osundara said the outcome of today’s NEC meeting would determine the association’s next step.

“We are holding our NEC meeting tomorrow (today), and the outcome will determine our next line of action. At the meeting, we will review whether the government has made any meaningful progress on addressing our demands. If there is a positive response, it will guide our decision, but if not, the council will take a firm stance on the next steps, including the possibility of industrial action,”
he said.

NARD First Vice-President, Dr. Tajudeen Abdulrauf, also confirmed that the NEC would reconvene today to assess the situation.

“The outcome of the meeting will depend on the government’s response to our demands. If they are not addressed, we cannot guarantee industrial harmony, and a strike remains likely. Remember, we gave a three-week ultimatum in July and extended it. In the spirit of dialogue, the NEC mandated the National Officers’ Committee to engage stakeholders for another three weeks, yet nothing has been done. When we meet tomorrow, we will review the government’s response and decide on the next line of action,”
Abdulrauf said.

Categories
News

NUPENG Calls Off Strike After Meeting With Dangote Group

NUPENG has announced the suspension of its nationwide strike against the Dangote Group.
Recall that NUPENG had threatened to embark on strike after the Dangote Group allegedly refused to allow its workers join NUPENG.
The strike was called off following a meeting convened by the Department of State Services (DSS), attended by the Ministers of Labour and Finance, Dangote Group officials, and representatives from the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA).
Both parties reached an agreement, bringing an end to the brief nationwide industrial action.
Categories
News

No Immediate Plan to Implement 5% Fuel Tax – Nigerian Govt

The Federal Government has said it is not planning to implement the 5 per cent Petroleum Products Tax soon.
Recall that the tax is contained in the new tax legislation.
The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, made this known at a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday.
This is coming after the tax generated widespread anger among Nigerians, with organised labour issuing the government an ultimatum to cancel it or face industrial action.
Categories
News

ADC Has Over 100 Senators, About 400 Reps – Dino Melaye

Dino Melaye, a former Kogi West Senator has vowed that the African Democratic Congress, ADC will unseat President Bola Tinubu in 2027.
This is as he claimed the ADC now has more senators and House of Representatives members.
Melaye disclosed that the ADC now has over 100 Senators, both former and serving, and about 400 members of the House of Representatives, both serving and former.
In an interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time, Melaye said the ADC is fast becoming a political force with the party witnessing more former state governors.
The Kogi State-born politician vowed that the ADC will unseat the President Bola Tinubu’s All Progressives Congress, APC, in 2027.
 
“As I speak, we have over 100 Senators, both former and serving, who are members of the ADC.
 
“We have close to 400 members of the House of Representatives, former and serving, who are members of the ADC,” he said.
Categories
News

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Wins Best Legislator Award in Abuja

Hon. Natasha Osawaru has won the Best Legistlator Award at the 2025 National Leadership Awards in Abuja.
Natasha who is the newlywed wife of Nigerian music legend 2baba, represents Egor Constituency in the Edo State House of Assembly.
The recognition ceremony took place at the Nigerian Merit House, Maitama, where the Edo-born lawmaker was celebrated for her outstanding contributions to women’s empowerment, education, healthcare, and youth development.
Sharing the news on Instagram, she wrote:
“I am deeply honoured to receive the Best Legislator Award at the 2025 National Leadership Awards. This recognition is for the people of Egor Constituency, Edo State, whose trust drives my commitment to women empowerment, education, healthcare, and youth development. Together, we rise!”
Categories
News

PDP Dead, Controlled by APC Agents From Presidential Villa – Dino Melaye

Former Kogi West lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, has made a claim against the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
According to him, PDP is dead and is currently being controlled by APC agents from the Presidential Villa.
The key member of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, disclosed this while featuring on Arise Television’s Prime Time on Monday night.
According to Melaye: “Apart from our Lord Jesus Christ no dead can rise again and I want to tell you that whatever you are seeing is make-shift, the dead is dead, we can only advertise the obituary.
 
“Dead and buried, PDP was sold and I’m not sure if they got the receipt of payment but it was sold and what you have now is APC controlled PDP.
 
“It’s a party that is being controlled from the Villa, it’s the agents of the APC that controls the PDP.”
Reacting to Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State’s remark regarding the party, Melaye said: “If a sitting governor is saying let’s have a party first, it means that there is no party.
 
“I’m a proud member of the ADC and that is the party that will unseat Tinubu and by the grace of God send Tinubu out of the Villa, come may 29, 2027.”
Categories
News

Tinubu’s Government May Soon Turn To Opay For Loan – Dino Melaye

Dino Melaye, a former senator, has raised alarm over Nigeria’s growing debt.
According to him, with the rate the government of President Bola Tinubu is going, it may soon turn to Fintech platform, Opay for loan.
Recall that recently, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) said the new wave of borrowing will drive Nigeria’s public debt beyond N200 trillion before the end of the year.
In a statement, National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, the ADC accused President Tinubu of surpassing his predecessor by mortgaging the country’s future in mountains of debts in the name of economic reform.
Speaking on ARISE Television, on Monday, Melaye accused the government of plunging Nigerians into massive hunger despite securing billions of dollars in loans.
“There is massive hunger in the land. Why is the president borrowing $1.7 billion from the World Bank? Why has the senate approved $21 billion so far with many others coming for consideration?”
 
“This government is one of the most reckless governments in the history of this country. The president who said he wanted to come and curb wastages bought a yacht.
 
“That yacht he bought has never been to the perimeters, the territorial areas of Nigeria—it’s been between Monaco and Paris. And what do we need a yacht for in a time of austerity and pervasive hunger?
 
“He has borrowed like no other president in the history of the country. If you are making more money, then why are you borrowing? We will not be surprised if the president starts borrowing from Opay and Moniepoint very soon,” he said.
Categories
News

Fuel Price: FG, NUPENG, Dangote Meeting Ends in Deadlock

There are indications that the meeting between the federal government, executives of Nigeria Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, Dangote Group and other stakeholders ended in a deadlock.
This is according to a report by DailyPost.
Recall that the meeting took place on Monday after FG had announced its plan to resolve the face-off between NUPENG and Dangote Group.
The meeting scheduled originally for 3pm Tuesday did not kick off until after 5:00pm.
No official details of the outcome of the meeting have been made public by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Muhammad Dingyadi, the leadership of NUPENG led by Williams Akporeha, or the Dangote Group as of the time of filing this report.
Earlier, Dingyadi, speaking on the importance of Monday’s meeting, said, “We are here to try and reconcile our labour unions in the oil industry and the employers in Dangote Group. This is not the first time we are having this kind of dispute.”
However, a source and industry stakeholder told DAILY POST that the details are still sketchy, but it seems no agreement has been reached yet.
“Details are still sketchy. However, it seems there is no agreement yet. I should know from tomorrow (Tuesday),” he told DAILY POST.
The National President of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Abubakar Maigandi, told DAILY POST in an interview on Monday that both parties need to come to a sustainable resolution for the good of all Nigerians.
Meanwhile, NUPENG, in enforcing its strike on Monday, shut down major depots and some filling stations in Lagos and Warri in protest against the Dangote Group.
In Warri, reports have emerged that the cost of transportation has increased due to the strike.
Meanwhile, DAILY POST correspondent observed that fuel prices have remained unchanged in parts of the Federal Capital Territory as of Monday night, between N885 and N910 per litre, except for Empire Filling Station, which stood at N950.
However, with the Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, the Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria (NOGASA), and the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) threatening to mobilise members to down tools, petrol scarcity may set in, and prices may go up.
Recall that NUPENG president, Akporeha, accused Dangote Group of anti-labour activities in his plan to roll out 4,000 compressed natural gas trucks for petroleum products distribution nationwide.
He said Dangote’s anti-labour policy is meant to enslave workers, but the oil firm insisted on implementing its policy.
Categories
News

15 Jehovah’s Witnesses Die in Imo Road Accident

At least 15 members of the Jehovah’s Witness congregation have been crushed to d3ath by a trailer.
The sad incident happened at Awomama Bridge in Imo State.
The crash, which occurred around 6:45 p.m. on Monday, happened when a trailer driving against traffic collided with a bus conveying the victims.
The worshippers, from Agwa community in Oguta Local Government Area, were returning from their annual convention in Uli, Anambra State.
All the passengers in the bus reportedly died on the spot, and their bodies have been deposited in a morgue.
Chairman of Oguta Local Government Area, Ifeanyi Nnani, described the incident as a tragic loss for the community.
In a condolence message issued through his aide, Orum Desmond, on Tuesday, he commiserated with the bereaved families and prayed for God’s comfort over the community.
“Oguta Local Government Area has once again witnessed another dark moment, very tragic and sorrowful.
 
“These pathetic incidents have once more reminded the people of Oguta, and Agwa, of the intense sorrow that took away the lives of Agwa people suddenly in the past,” he said.