The Independent National Electoral Commission has stated that it is pleased with the preparations made thus far for the elections in 2023.
The INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, made the assertion while speaking at the Chatham House, London on Tuesday, January 17 2023.
“We have promised Nigerians and friends of Nigerians that the 2023 general election will be free, free and credible and we have left no stone unturned in preparing for it.
SUGGESTION: You can get News updates directly on WhatsApp by clicking “HERE” and joining our group.
“But like with all elections, especially those requiring the extensive national deployment like we do in Nigeria, it will naturally come with challenges.
“We have worked closely with stakeholders and development partners to confront these challenges and we are satisfied with our preparations so far.”
Lamenting the continuous attacks on its facilities nationwide, the INEC Chairman said despite the attacks, elections would hold.
He said, “In four years, 50 facilities attacked in various parts of the country. The implication of the attacks is that we have to rebuild facilities and replace materials. The commission and security agencies have increased their presence in some of these locations. The last attack happened on Sunday last week but because of the cooperation between the military and the electoral commission, we were able to respond and the damage was limited to just a section of the building in a local government office.
“The commission has repeatedly called for concerted efforts to control and check these attacks and in December last year, the National Assembly held a public hearing on these attacks and we hope that authorities have these attacks under control and the response by the security agencies is more coordinated.
“But inspite of these attacks, we will rebuild facilities and replace damaged and lost items, the elections will hold.”