Categories
News

I Won’t Disappoint Nigerians – Tinubu Promises

The president-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has vowed not to disappoint Nigerians.
He spoke on Wednesday during his birthday celebration.
Tinubu’s sober reflection, titled “My 71st Birthday Message to Nigerians”, raised a lot of hope as he vowed not to disappoint Nigerians when it matters most.
The development is coming one week after his media officer, Tunde Rahman, announced that the president-elect had departed the country for a vacation in Paris, France capital.
Rahman noted that after a short rest in Europe, he may stay back to observe Ramadan fast before heading for Umrah in Saudi Arabia.
Until his media aide cleared the air, blogs and social media platforms have been awash with news that the former governor of Lagos State was rushed abroad for medical attention.
However, in his first birthday message to Nigerians as president-elect, Tinubu reiterated that his swearing-in ceremony in two months would signify his preparation for the task ahead.
While expressing gratitude to God for sparing his life, the former governor stated that the holy month of Ramadan couldn’t have come at a better, adding that he cherished it more than the celebration of individual achievements.
He said, “Dear Nigerians, I thank all of you who have expressed your goodwill towards me on the occasion of my 71st birthday. I received your kind words with great pleasure and was profoundly touched by the depth of your care and support. Above all, I thank God Almighty for the life He has given me, for all the opportunities and doors He has opened to me along the way.
 
“This year, in particular, I see this day as one of deep reflection. The spiritual meaning and significance of the holy month of Ramadan matter to me much more than the celebration of any individual milestone. Yet, this is my first birthday as the President-elect. A few weeks back, Nigerians gave me the honour of a lifetime. In exactly two months, on the 29th of May my term in office will begin. It is a rare privilege indeed, and one that I do not take lightly and shall not squander.
 
“With such a privilege already granted to me, I will not go so far as to suggest I am due any birthday presents this year. I have already been given the greatest gift. A chance to lead and fulfil destiny. An opportunity to champion your aspirations and to bring about the Nigeria of your dreams.
 
“I will, instead, use this day as an opportunity to reiterate my commitment to the great and important task of rebuilding our nation and renewing the hope of the Nigerian people. I campaigned hard and made important promises. Those promises were not mere words; professed glibly or cynically to win support.
 
“They represent a bond that binds me to the task of creating a better Nigeria for the benefit of every Nigerian, whether you voted for me or not. I have prepared for this moment all my life, I will not fail. Henceforth, may growth, hope, peace and compassion stand proudly and ring loudly throughout the land. May we find the right way and the good courage to turn our beloved country into a strong, just and prosperous home for all. May Almighty God bless all Nigerians.”
Categories
News

Tinubu Risked His Life, Fought Tirelessly For Nigeria – Gov Sanwo-Olu

Re-elected Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said that the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu “risked his life” to fight for democracy in Nigeria.

He also said that Tinubu fought tirelessly with other activists during the annulment of the June 12 elections to end the military regime.

He made this remark in a message congratulating Tinubu on his 71st birthday on Wednesday.

The statement was signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile.

Sanwo-Olu hailed the former Lagos Governor as a “visionary, consistent, loyal and enigmatic master strategist”.

The statement read in part: “It is also on record that he stood firmly on the side of the Nigerian people, even at the risk of losing his life and personal belongings during the dark days of the military junta.

“He fought tirelessly with other progressives and pro-democracy activists during the annulment of the June 12 struggle to end the military interregnum and enthrone democracy, which we all enjoy today.”

Tinubu cancelled the annual colloquium to mark his birthday this year and opted for special prayers and a thanksgiving service.

Categories
News

British Police Offer £10,000 For The Capture Of Nigerian Man, Temitope Adeyinka Aka ‘Limo” (Photo)

A Nigerian man has been declared wanted in the UK.
This is as the UK police announced an increased reward of £10,000 for anyone that will help in the arrest of the Nigerian wanted for the death of a 50-year-old man at a party.
Robert Powell was shot multiple times in Roydon, Essex, on 13 June 2020.
Israar Shah, 38, from Brentwood, and Nana Oppong, 42, from Newham, have been arrested on suspicion of murder in recent months.
The charity Crimestoppers has upped its reward in the search for Temitope Adeyinka, a.k.a “Limo” 38, also from Newham.
Det Sup Stephen Jennings, of Essex Police, said: “There’s a loving family, a mother, children, grandchildren, who have spent more than two-and-a-half years in a state of limbo and grief. “They need and deserve answers.”
Mr Powell, a father-of-three and grandfather-of-two, was fatally wounded outside a house party in Water Lane in the early hours of the morning.
Two women received single gunshot wounds in the incident.
Police said Mr Oppong, who previously lived in West Road in Newham, was detained trying to enter Morocco from Spain in September last year.
He was later arrested on suspicion of murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and wounding without intent, and is due to be extradited to the UK.
Essex Police said Mr Shah had been located in Spain and extradited into UK custody. He is due to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court charged with murder on 12 June.
Police said the third suspect Mr Adeyinka, also known as Limo, was subject to a European Arrest Warrant.The force said he was about 5ft 8ins tall (1.7m) and of medium build.
Anyone who knows the whereabouts of Temitope Adeyinka (a.k.a Limo) is asked to call 999 immediately.
Categories
News

Oyetola Has Right To Approach Supreme Court – Governor Adeleke

Osun State Governor, Sen Ademola Adeleke has reacted to his victory at the Appeal Court.
He said his predecessor Adegboyega Oyetola has the right to approach the Supreme Court if he wishes to contest the appellate court ruling.
Adeleke said this during the Arise News morning show on Monday.
The Court of Appeal in Abuja on Friday affirmed the election of Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as the governor of the state.
A three-member panel of the appellate court led by Mohammed Shuaibu unanimously overturned the earlier decision of the election petition tribunal which nullified the governor’s victory in January.
Oyetola, however, in a statement by his media aide, Ismail Omipidan said there is solid ground to seek further redress at the apex court.
Adeleke reacting to whether he is anxious, said, “No, not really. If they want to go to the Supreme Court, they have the right to do that. So, I have my people on my side.
 
“And I also have God on my side. If they want to go ahead, it’s their right to go ahead to the Supreme Court.
 
“Immediately after the news of the Appeal Court, I tried to reach out and called the former Governor Oyetola to let us forge ahead and move Osun forward.
 
“Although he has not called to congratulate me, I’m still hoping he will do that because we don’t have any other state than Osun state here. So, I’m ready. My hands are open. Please, let’s come together and move Osun state forward.”
Categories
News

Oyetola Has Not Congratulated Me – Adeleke

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has said that the immediate past governor of the state, Gboyega Oyetola, has not congratulated him after his Appeal Court victory.

Adeleke who said he was open to working with the former governor said he had yet to hear from Oyetola.

The governor said this when he featured on Arise TV Morning Show on Monday.

“Immediately after the news of the Appeal Court (judgement), I tried to reach out, I called him – the former Governor Oyetola – to let us forge ahead to move Osun forward, but up till now, he has not called me to congratulate me and I’m still hoping that he will do that because we don’t have any other state than Osun State here. So, I’m ready, my hands are open, let’s come together and move Osun State forward,
” Adeleke said.

When asked what he would like to say to Oyetola, Adeleke made a U-turn on reaching out to Oyetola, saying he never called the former governor.

“Well let me correct it, I did not say I put a call to him, what I said is I’m still expecting him to call me so that he can congratulate me, and if he wants to do otherwise and go ahead to the Supreme Court, he has the right to do that,”
 the governor said.

He reiterated that he would like to work with Oyetola.

The governor also said he was not afraid of the Supreme Court, saying he had his people and God on his side.

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja, last Friday, set aside the tribunal judgment that nullified the election of Adeleke as governor of the state.

The appellate court, in a unanimous decision by a three-member panel of justices, led by Justice Mohammed Lawal, held that the appeal lodged by Adeleke to challenge his sack by the Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal was meritorious.

The court also awarded a sum of N500,000 as a cost against the All Progressive Congress and its candidate, Oyetola.

During the ruling, the justice resolved that the preponderance of proof that there was over-voting in the elections rested on the petitioner.

The court also maintained that “the party alleging non-compliance with the electoral act must prove its case without merely relying on the weakness of the other party.”

Delivering judgment, Justice Mohammed Shaibu overruled the judgment of the governorship election tribunal that nullified the outcome of the July governorship polls.

The three-man panel revoked the tribunal’s order which directed that a Certificate of Return be withdrawn from Adeleke and issued to his predecessor and All Progressives Congress candidate, Oyetola.

Categories
News

WAEC Suspends Manual Confirmation Of Results

The Nigerian office of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC)  has announced that it will no longer use manual confirmation or stamping of certificates of candidates who sat the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) from 1999 till date.

This is coming after the launch of the examination body’s Digital Certificate Platform.

Members of the public and stakeholders have been asked to utilise the digital certificate platform to ease the bottlenecks associated with the manual access and confirmation system.

The council’s acting Head of Public Affairs, Moyosola Adesina said in a statement;

“The WAEC Digital Certificate Platform allows candidates to access, download, and share their original WAEC certificates. Institutions and organisations can also promptly and securely confirm the certificates of candidates.

“Note that certificates accessed and shared through the platform are authentic and sourced directly from the WAEC database.

“We kindly request that institutions, organisations, agencies, embassies, high commissions, among others, provide email addresses for the digital sharing, receiving, and verification of certificates.”

Categories
News

BREAKING: General Abacha’s Ex-Chief Of General Staff, Oladipo Diya Is Dead

Lt. General Oladipo Diya, a former Nigerian Chief of General Staff under the late Head  of State, General Sani Abacha, has died.

His death was announced in a statement by his son, Prince Oyesinmilola Diya, on Sunday morning.

It read, “On behalf of the entire Diya family home and abroad; we announce the passing on to glory of our dear husband, father, grandfather, brother, Lt-General Donaldson Oladipo Oyeyinka Diya (rtd) GCON, LLB, BL, PSC, FSS, mni.

“Our dear Daddy passed onto glory in the early hours of 26th March 2023. Please keep us in your prayers as we mourn his demise in this period. Further announcements will be made public in due course.”

The former Chief of General Staff was born on April 3, 1944 at Odogbolu in Ogun State.

Diya joined the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna and fought during the Nigerian Civil War.

He was appointed Chief of General Staff in 1993 and Vice Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council in 1994. As Chief of the General Staff, he was second in command and the de facto vice president of Nigeria under Abacha from 1994.

Diya lost his wife, Folashade, in May of 2020.

Categories
News

Opposition parties are trying to truncate my inauguration – Tinubu

Tinubu has raised an alarm over alleged plots by opposition parties to truncate his transition process, coming up on the 29th of May, 2023.

Festus Keyamo, his spokesperson said in a statement on Saturday, March 25:

“We have watched with great concern the condemnable activities of some persons and groups who are desirous of truncating our democracy.

For reasons best known to them, these persons have remained embitt£red that Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was declared winner of the 2023 General Elections.

Repeatedly, but unfortunately, these misguided individuals have called for either the cancellation of the results or that the President-elect should not be inaugurated on the 29th of May, 2023.

We wish to reiterate and emphasise that these positions are not in tandem with our constitutional provisions or our electoral laws. We would have taken these as mere wishful thinking, however, because of their implications for national security and public order, we have therefore considered it necessary, if not expedient, to call them to order.

We are aware of the intentions of those engaged in these treasonable and subversive acts. We also know those involved in the many plots being contrived to undermine the transition in particular and democracy in general.

They have done it in this country before and it threw the country into avoidable cri§es for many years and they want to do it again. They are bent on delegitimizing the new government.

Some have made treasonable insinuations and openly called for military take-over. It is for these reasons that they are de§perate to incite the people against the incoming Government.

It is perplexing to see that those contesting the results want to be in the courts and on the streets at the same time. However, if their intention is to truncate the inauguration of the President-elect and Vice-President-elect, they should immediately bury the thought.

It is gratifying to note that the President has set in motion steps for the actualisation of the swearing-in ceremonies.“

Categories
News

Appeal Court Judgement: No Victor, No Vanquished – Adeleke Speaks

Governor Ademola Adeleke has reacted to his victory at the court of appeal.

Following the judgement of the Appeal Court that affirmed his victory as the duly elected Governor of Osun state, Senator Ademola Adeleke described the outcome as “no victory, no vanquished”.

Speaking shortly after the judgement at his Ede country home, the Governor said Osun belongs to all irrespective of political or religion affiliation.

He urged members of the opposition party to cooperate with his administration to move the state to the next level.

“I thank the people of Osun for standing by me throughout the trial period and even now, irrespective of the outcome of the verdict. The people have spoken and the judiciary has aligned with their voices.

“Osun belonged to all of us, irrespective of party affiliation. This is democracy and the beauty of it is healthy competition. So, the judgement for me is a no victor, no vanquished. We should all return to the table and continue the good work of moving Osun forward.

“I urged the good people of the state to continue to be law abiding. From me, I am assuring you that the good work is just starting, they should expect more dividends of democracy.

“I also commend the Judges of the Court of Appeal for standing on the side of truth. They should continue to stand on the side of the law. The court is the last hope of the common man and we commend the court for dispensing justice today”, he said.

Categories
News

Oyetola Reacts To Appeal Court Judgement Against Him

Former Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola has broken his silence after the Appeal Court on Friday ruled against him.
According to him, there is ground for him and his party, the All Progressives Congress, APC, to approach the Supreme Court over the judgement of the Appeal Court.
Reacting to the Appeal Court judgement which upturned the decision of the Tribunal that initially sacked Governor Ademola Adeleke, Oyetola noted that his belief in the judiciary also remains unshaken.
Oyetola in a statement issued by his media aide, Ismail Omipidan said the from the snippet available from the judgement, there are solid ground to seek further redress at the Apex Court.
He appealed to members and supporters of the APC to remain calm and not to be discouraged over the outcome of the Friday’s appeal, saying his abiding faith in God to reclaim his mandate remains undoubted.
The statement partly reads; “We have heard the judgement of the Appeal Court, but we are yet to receive a copy of the judgement.
 
“However, from the snippets we are getting, we believe we have a potential ground to approach the Supreme Court. Our belief in the judiciary remains unshaken, just as my abiding faith in the God’s promise regarding the reclaim of my mandate remains undoubted.
 
“I, therefore, appeal to our supporters and party members to remain calm as we take the next step.”